Saturday, April 13, 2013

my life, at present

1. TV. Lots and lots of it. Currently rewatching season 2 of Dawson's Creek and season 3 of The Sopranos, and watching (for the first time) the final season of Reno 911 and the first season of Bunheads. Bunheads is the new creation of Amy Sherman-Palladino, the brains behind my beloved Gilmore Girls; it doesn't even come close, but for a GGs fan, it's watchable, if only to feel close to Lorelai. I'll never get over that woman. I'm taking a while to get into this season of Reno, after the deaths of three characters at the end of last season, but we have to finish it before we watch the movie (self-imposed rule). Highlights from the others:

Pacey - She probably didn't recognise me. I just had my tips frosted.

And the funniest episode of anything, ever:



2. This post from the wonderful thing that is bitches gotta eat

"sometimes i think about how much easier life would be if i had been born an attractive man: my dry cleaning would be hella cheap. i could decide to just "stop eating chips" and lose forty pounds in a goddamned week and a half. strangers on the street wouldn't stop me to ask why i haven't yet shit out a baby since i'm in my thirties and all my eggs are about to be dead. if i decided to run for public office no one would launch an investigation into how many jerks i'd banged when i was nineteen. genetically, males have thicker skin and more powerful muscle structure. i would be interested in knowing stuff about tanks. $12 haircuts."

3. Style blogs. Since I'm spending almost all day in bed, these are where I'm getting inspiration (not even close to actually being out in the city and seeing real people), and they're making me think crazy. I'm convinced I need to start wearing make-up, that I need to lose 6-10kg and exercise away my hips, and that all of my dressing dilemmas would be solved if I would just wear heels every day. Crazy. But look how grown up and pretty they look!

Krystal from this time tomorrow:


Karla from karla's closet:


So I get out of bed (yes, at 4pm), and spend ages trying to get dressed, and nothing feels quite right because I have these images of these impeccably put-together women, and everything I put on is way too girly, or you can see the socks through my stockings or the hair on my unshaved-since-March thighs, or my skirt's too loose on my waist or too tight on my bum.

I need perspective. Or to see people who inspire me to dress well in a way that's comfortable and genuine, so I don't feel like I'm playing dress-ups, and can get dressed on the first go. Like my old workmates, who are some of the most stylish women I know, evidenced below:

Ngahuia, snapped recently by gather and hunt:


Huni, snapped a while back by foureyes:


And Olivia, in a picture pinched from her blog make believe:


I'd like to point out that I only used pictures from street style blogs because I thought the girls wouldn't mind since those are already out there; they look awesome every day, and don't need confirmation from street style blogs. (Although, having been on one before, it does feel kind of nice - is that pathetic?) Also, in case it did matter, Olivia was on street and city photos a while back, but I couldn't find the picture. (Put in a search feature, street style bloggers!)

4. I'm carefully avoiding doing practical things towards getting the shop I plan to open up and running, partly because I'm in a rut, and partly because I don't really know where to begin. I have, however, begun a blog for the shop, and I'm trying to post on it semi-regularly; not much of an ask when I don't have much to do in a day, but something I find really difficult on the days when I can't get out of bed. But maybe it would help if I thought people were looking at it - like there's a reason (other than the rather important reason that I need a job, and the blog is part of it), so here it is, if you like clothes. I'm trying to keep it fairly impersonal, but I have mixed results with that; at best, I'm open, and at worst, I'm a total over-sharer. Which you will already know. Anyway, excuse the current heading; it's a default font, while Vincent finishes designing the real one. Dogtown Vintage.

update: logo is up! input on colours welcome; would black and white be better? trying to nail the blue, and the gold.

5. It's been a week since Paul Simon. I might have left it too long to review it well; my memory is particularly bad at the moment. Suffice to say, for now, that it was fantastic; he was at the top of his game, and clearly there to entertain and have a good time. Aaradhna opened, and although I would have loved to have heard her with a full band, the simple guitar and one back-up singer accompaniment meant her voice was the focus, and man, it is amazing. And then Rufus. He was lovely; sincere, and a bit grave, in the best possible way. This was one of my favourites of the songs he played.

No comments:

Post a Comment