Tuesday, March 26, 2013

what if?


When, however, one reads of a witch being ducked, of a woman possessed by devils, of a wise woman selling herbs, or even of a very remarkable man who had a mother, then I think we are on the track of a lost novelist, a suppressed poet, of some mute and inglorious Jane Austen, some Emily Brontë who dashed her brains out on the moor or mopped and mowed about the highways crazed with the torture that her gift had put her to.   Virginia Woolf - A Room Of One's Own

I don’t want to freak you out, but I think I may be the voice of my generation. Or at least a voice. Of a generation.  Hannah - GIRLS

As for writing, most people secretly believe they themselves have a book in them, which they would write if they could only find the time. And there’s some truth to this notion. A lot of people do have a book in them – that is, they have had an experience that other people might want to read about. But this is not the same thing as “being a writer.”  Margaret Atwood

There’s always the sense that you should strike while the iron’s hot and while there are all these opportunities, but that’s not the way I get ideas. It has to be more organic, building up through living and through experiencing things.  Miranda July

I am awfully greedy; I want everything from life. I want to be a woman and to be a man, to have many friends and to have loneliness, to work much and write good books, to travel and enjoy myself, to be selfish and to be unselfish… You see, it is difficult to get all which I want. And then when I do not succeed I get mad with anger.  Simone de Beauvoir


Being self-conscious doesn’t help you at all when you’re alone and trying to create something new. It does nothing.  Miranda July

Just start.

2 comments:

  1. I love that first quote! Since living with my aunty & uncle I now understand the meaning of "behind every great man..."

    I haven't watched Girls yet, not sure if I want to - have you read this article http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2013/01/why-all-female-bloggers-oversharers-should-h8-lena-dunham.html

    You really are a good writer my dear, so good in fact I'm sure you already have started in some way of your own...

    Had this brilliant idea I keep meaning to talk to you about! But ahh so manic with new job atm and not writing like I was, realised I've probably switched my brain off for the most part; I fear I am turning into one of those CBD zombies! But maybe I should just have to email you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me, email me! I want to know what you're up to, where you're working, and especially what your idea is! I know exactly what you mean about brain switch-off; I don't even have the excuse of a job. I wake up full of ideas and good intentions and then...

      I read the link - yikes they were angry (and a bit misogynistic?)! I reckon watch it and see what you think. I really, really enjoy it; I went into it very skeptical after reading stuff about the lack of diversity, and because I didn't like Tiny Furniture, but she totally won me over. I think she's incredibly talented, and that her perspective is really interesting, in spite of coming from a base of privilege. I don't want to influence you though! But I do feel as if people wouldn't be so critical of her if she was conventionally attractive, and that makes me mad.

      I almost didn't put in the first quote in case it looked like I think I'm the undiscovered talent! But I really like it too, and I'm very nosey about your aunty and uncle.

      Email me, email me! xoxo

      Delete