Monday, March 25, 2013

Ōtepoti


I don't think I could ever have foreseen sitting on my bed, looking out on to Otago harbour, drinking tea, after a lunch of cheese rolls, on Otago Anniversary Day. To hear I would be in Paris, or New York, or Berlin, or Tokyo would have been far less of a stretch; in fact, I would have expected to have been to most of those and have lived in at least one, by now. Instead, I have been to none of them, and here I am, at home, in Port Chalmers.

I wonder if anyone's life unfolds the way they thought it would. As a child, I wanted to be an actress or a singer. In about form one, I decided my future lay in New York, and took for granted that I would find myself there, probably in my early twenties (does anyone under twenty-five ever think about being any older than that?), having been to all of the other places I'd read about and seen on tv all of my life. As I learnt more about history, politics, and classics, destinations became more specific; the acropolis, the Ho Chi Minh trail, Soweto,  Tiananmen Square. I would be a journalist, have a photographer boyfriend who could accompany me, and I would be part of everything. Not unlike Rory Gilmore. Vomit.

I am very proud that Dunedin is a Labour stronghold, although I haven't contributed to that (yet). And I am proud to be kinswoman to some of the people who call/have called Dunedin home. We cut our own path.

                                                                                           Ralph Hotere   


Heaven

In Heaven everybody is happy together.
In Heaven there are no sudden catastrophes.
In Heaven they do without bodies.
There is perfect trust in Heaven,
and perfect symmetry.

In Heaven there are no hidden agendas.
In Heaven life is both exciting and secure,
love is greater than time, and hope
eternal. In Heaven there is no sense
of loss and betrayal.

Heaven is oblique and difficult of access.
Heaven requires nakedness
and a devil-may-care attitude.

Cilla McQueen


                                                                                                                                       Colin McCahon 








No comments:

Post a Comment