Wednesday, December 12, 2012

J + Y = 4eva

I try not to harp on about it because I don't want to a) be sickening, b) be a show off, or c) make it seem like I think a person has to be in a relationship because I absolutely don't, but I think I am the luckiest woman in the world to have Vincent, and a love that seems Austenian, and Salingerish, and Vonnegutian, a bit Harry Potter, sometimes science fiction, and occasionally even a little biblical.

Which is kind of how I view the love between John Lennon and Yoko Ono. They are my all-time favourite couple, and I love looking at pictures of them, and hearing songs they did together. I just saw the video for Stand By Me on tv (bad cover, wonderful video which doesn't seem to be on YouTube) and was reminded of the line Yoko put out last month through Opening Ceremony, which I had meant to share here. When they married in 1969, Yoko gave John a book of sketches of clothes she had designed to celebrate his "sexy bod", but the clothes were never made... until now. They include a jockstrap and a pair of open-toed knee-high lace-up boots. The bandeau pictured below features a flashing LED bra, and please note this pair of boots have incense holders on the toes. I hope you get as much enjoyment from them as I did.


























Like a lot of what she does, the line has been widely misunderstood, but I don't imagine she cares. She's a performance artist, and she and John clearly had so much fun together. I think the fact that Opening Ceremony did this with her would have made him happy and very diverted. Just look at them.

1 comment:

  1. You followed your heart and I admire you, and him, for that.

    ReplyDelete