Monday, September 10, 2012

A Call To Action

Today I'm keeping quiet and letting Lachlan Forsyth, from Campbell Live, do the talking. It's old news that John Campbell is one of my national heroes; champion of poor/brown/forgotten people, thorn in the side of irresponsible/stupid politicians, and all-round awesome guy. I like to think that the people he works with are similar to him (in the same way that I like to think that all of the All Blacks are best friends), and reading this made me feel extra happy, especially because when John is away, Lachlan hosts the show.

Child poverty is the biggest issue in New Zealand at the moment; not asset sales, or free trade with idiots, or anything else the usual media outlets persist in focussing on. And it's a problem that belongs to all of us; the responsibility is ours.

Please read this, and think about what we're going to do. Every minute that passes is a minute that a kid here, in NZ, is hungry, and cold, and maybe sick, and every day they live this way determines what their life will be when they're not a kid anymore.

I've linked to it before, but in case you missed it, you can become a Kidscan supporter here for $15 a month. It's so easy, and if everyone starts with something like this, we'll be on our way.

We're better than this, but that's not really the point. Kids deserve better than this, and we have to give it to them.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is such a great initiative! When I get more hours at the shop I will definately join up. There is more child poverty in this country than the mainstream like to admit, the kind that makes state housing look like a luxury. It really comes down to people reaching out, our concern and generosity, for any kind of support and change to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear! I know, someone said this needs to be like this year's World Cup and although I cringed, I had to agree; it could be something really positive for everyone if we all unite on this!

      Delete