Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Feet on The Ground/Head In The Sky


There are a few reasons why I like this cover. One is that it sounds like the cover of kids who grew up in the nineties; it lacks that nauseating quality that I love about eighties music, that sounds like even when you're in love or having fun you know it can't last and that the outside world is hurtful. This sounds like the version of those yet untouched by grief, and I like how that sounds, and that the song is so great that it still resonates. It's also good to have some variation (especially for Vincent) as I am playing this song about ten times a day (conservative estimate).

We ordered a book about grief for my little niece's birthday. I had read about it in a magazine article about helping children to deal with loss, and I wondered how loss would be if it didn't come as such a shock; if you had some inkling of what it might be like, if it might help, even just a little bit. It arrived last week and I read it before I wrapped it, and it made me cry so much and kind of broke my heart, but in a way that made me feel really grateful to have a heart to break. Both the words and pictures are so pure that they make me feel as if the writer and illustrator have been in Plato's cave and seen the forms; how else could they have distilled the essence of loss?

If I believed in heaven, I think I would expect it to be like that cave, where everything appears as it is, and we could all understand.

2 comments:

  1. Okay I'm over the terror this post first occasioned - loss, what loss? Who's dying, what?? And it's another leap to assume that the book recipent lives with me.

    But, I wanted you to know that The Night Kitchen is the book I most often find her reading to herself. 'Mickey, loud, loud, loud! Hey! Shhh, be quiet! Oh no! Moon! Fall down, fall down! Mummy and Daddy, bye bye! Ha! Mickey cake!'. And so on. I thought I loved this book when I was a little tamafreaky but I'm nothing on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! I meant to email you; does that mean it hasn't arrived yet? Those rat-bastards. You were right to assume the recipient lives with you; from what I told our other sister about the book, little missy's cousin will never recover if she reads it.

      She's such a clever-puss. When she comes, do you think she would read it to me as a Christmas present?

      Delete