Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sad Things

A few weeks ago, I read this article about Pat Lam and the Blues. I didn't really understand it, so I asked Vincent to explain what people have been saying about why the Blues have been losing, and he did, as well as explaining what Andy Haden's hateful comments meant, and after he did, I was in shock. Today I read that the same thing is happening to Steve Kearney in Australia. How can people be so horrible? Who really believes that ethnicity has anything to do with leadership ability, or the ability to follow instruction, or to work as a team? Culture plays a part in how people approach these things - I remember the bit in Malcolm Gladwell's Blink about the airline pilots - but does not have any bearing on whether or not people can do them. I don't even know what I want to say about this, except that it really hurts, and that it makes me feel protective of all Polynesians, and a bit more separate from other New Zealanders. Sport is one of the few things in which I thought we were accepted - not much, and actually pretty aggravating (the only Samoans who have been claimed as New Zealanders by the media are or were All Blacks) - but it was something.

But today I'm especially sad about Herman Curry. I can't stop thinking about him, and his family, and those boys who went the depot to steal, and now have this on their hands. I wish that the Currys will be okay.

(Update: The boys weren't responsible for Herman's death; they didn't even see him. I am still sad for him and his family, but I am glad for all of them that the boys had nothing to do with it.)

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, this kind of behaviour and these kind of assumptions seem to be prolific. It makes me both sad and angry every time I encounter it.

    ReplyDelete