Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Musings

I've never been very good with food. Not that I don't eat; I do, frequently and with little care for what I'm eating - which is really what I mean. I used to get really grumpy and my sister would ask and find out I hadn't had anything to eat or drink yet, or it would all be McDonalds. Then when I learned about fat from every magazine/tv programme ever made to feed off young women, I thought eating heaps of lollies was okay because it was all sugar and not fat (nb if you still think this is the case, sit down. It is not. Sugar turns into fat! It's one of those horrible facts of life, like wine turning into wee). I write this because I am trying to convince myself to eat the pile of lettuce that is left on my plate because I ate all of the tomato and avocado from around it, claiming to Vincent I am now full of good fat and lycopene. He informs me that lettuce is full of fibre and can help prevent cancer. This is news to me. All I knew was that lettuce is like an unfood because eating it uses up more calories than it contains itself. I don't know what fibre does for me but it seems like everything might give me cancer, so here I go.

I especially want to be well because there is an unmistakable air of summer about, and Vincent and I have Big Plans. On Friday I found out that Bon Iver, source of comfort and so much enjoyment, is coming to the Wellington Arts Festival. My good husband immediately got on the internet and discovered tickets were available to non-members today, and so today bought two tickets. I have wanted to see Bon Iver live since I bought For Emma, Forever Ago, and now not only do I get to go, I get to go with Vincent, on a special trip, and we are going to take the train. Just to get there, but it's going to be so exciting, and absolutely nothing like stupid North By Northwest, except maybe for the kissing. I want the rest of this month to just go on and on; Christmas is near enough for me to bask in the warmth of its glow (and to put on the odd Christmas carol without being unreasonable), and to plan things and get excited about them, and still, after that, there will be our holiday with our friends to the beach, and then our holiday to another beach with all our little nieces, and another holiday to an island with the Jenga Queen and her family, and, in between, three concerts (Fleet Foxes, Beirut and Bon Iver) and a show to look forward to in March (Jersey Boys!!!). I've always loved Christmas Eve because everything was ahead of me. This year, Christmas Eve starts today. I have so much to look forward to, I'm going to enjoy it for as long as I can; anticipation is the icing on the cake, and I really dig icing.

This might be a funny song to choose after writing that... or maybe it's a good reminder to grab life by the ping pongs. I was talking today about Meet Me In St Louis and it made me think of this song. Judy puts so much of herself into the song; you know her character hasn't really lived yet but that she still knows what it would be like - that she has enough passion for something that she knows what it would be like to really lose something. It's a funny contrast to all of The Smiths I've been listening to today, but in their different ways, they both affirm what it is to be human and alive. Anyway, Happy Monday, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment