Sunday, November 13, 2011

You Make Me Feel Like Dancing



Yesterday was my friend's hen's party, to which I gave so much of my liver that I really shouldn't be writing anything; I'm barely coherent, and looking in the mirror today has not been an enjoyable activity. On the other hand, waking up to hear about actually funny things I did on the way home and that I had given myself two showers and not only brushed my teeth but also used mouthwash gave me great hope for a drunken future. Admittedly the second shower and attention to my mouth were by-products of a big spew, but I am, nevertheless, heartened.

The song above is in honour of a birthday - that of my cousin and first-ever best friend. I have a million memories and stories of all the things we did together when we were little; calling each other up on a Sunday to co-ordinate matching outfits to wear to church, playing Samoan Nurseries (an original creation which involved the two of us taking care of abandoned children, usually left on the doorstep of her bedroom), and eating lunch together on the little table in her bedroom, drinking refresh out of brightly coloured tupperware cups. It hasn't always been easy; I don't know why, but I always seemed to underestimate what I am to her, and took for granted what she is to me. I think I know it now; it took me a long time to realise, and I wish I'd known sooner - we've lost time, and gone through things that weren't necessary. But the main thing is that things are the way they should be, and distance is no match for these bonds. Happy Birthday, to the only person I've ever shared a toilet seat with.

No comments:

Post a Comment