Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ketchup



This song's been in and out of my head since I heard it in a cafe, for the first time in ages, the other day. They were playing the soundtrack from The Virgin Suicides, and I found it hard to concentrate on the conversation with the vaguely familiar music in the background. Sometimes I just wish I was by myself.

Our laptop cord finally broke and the new one took a couple of days to arrive, so we were without our portal for a little while. It was actually kind of a relief. I'm so excited about Christmas, but, perhaps in preparation, a big part of me wants to go into hibernation for a while. If the election goes the way everyone thinks it will, maybe I will.

Anyway, some things that have been amusing me:
1. How To Bitchface, by Tavi. There was an absolute imbecile sitting near me at the movies the other night, and I really wanted to lean across her cheap-perfumed friend and punch her in the face, but I didn't. Now I wish I had fixed her with one of these stares when the lights came up.
2. Season Four of Mad Men.
3. Eighties everything except clothes (not that I don't like them, but I'm committed to the sixties at present). Bowie, The Pretenders and The Cure on high rotation, trying to ignore rampant greed, and eighties tribute movies.
4. Yakult smoothies. One yakult, one banana, strawberry yoghurt, protein powder, and milk. I don't get hungry for a couple of hours, I don't have to chew (one side's still out of action), and they're yum.
5. Not Dostoevsky. The Double has been such hard going I'm giving up, or I won't get through my other books before they're due back. Should I keep struggling? Is it the Russians who separate the real readers from the would-be (if they could tolerate the repetition) readers?

Mostly, I've been amusing myself with hate and disdain. I'm premenstrual, besides which there seem to be a disproportionate number of idiots about. And these morons get to vote. For Pete's sake. We need somebody to save us. We need another Nietzsche. (That's actually a Hot Chocolate reference - from their Christmas album.) I'm hoping to make a film adaptation of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which will star Steve Buscemi, Mia Wasikowska, Christina Hendricks and Paul Giamatti, as long as the producer who approached me was serious. If not, it will star myself and Vincent, and possibly the Jenga Queen, so long as we can keep the point of the book from her. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment