Saturday, October 8, 2011

After The Orator


It was everything I hoped it would be and more; possibly the best film I have seen this year. I don't really know what to say right now except that I sat there crying after it had finished and then went home on a high, impatient to see it again, which I will as soon as I can. The acting and art direction were beautiful, the writing poignant, and the direction simply excellent. The film moves, and educates, and provokes thought and response. It doesn't have gratuitous love scenes but you believe the love. It has some comic relief but it doesn't feel entirely like relief; it feels like another aspect of village life and Samoan culture.

I can't recommend it highly enough (in fact, in the twenty-four hours following I told about as many people to watch it). Do yourself a solid and get to a cinema as soon as you can. Samoans can do anything.

Except keep a straight face when someone is injured in their presence.

Image from mubi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment