Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Ups And Downs Of Talking About It

On the upside, we all seem to agree Hurting People = Bad. Then we part ways because some of us think that a riot is the whole picture, or that whatever else is in the picture is cancelled out by the riot. It's been an eye-opener, but it really shouldn't have been. People are stupid. People are short on empathy and imagination. People who have comfortable lives are very angry when those comfortable lives are threatened. I can't help thinking these people have no problem with poor, forgotten people killing each other in poor communities, and would have little sympathy for the collateral victims in these cases, if they bothered to think about them.

Here are some interesting posts I read today, in response to the riots. I particularly liked the title of the last one as well as the feedback, from which I borrowed a quote to waste on the aforementioned incensed middle-class getting their tight little undies in a twist at me on facebook.

1. A Riot Is The Language Of The Unheard
2. Something To Add (You need to go halfway down to get to the actual post.)
3. Revolution Is The Name You Give The Riots You Like

I've found it interesting that every one of these people, myself, and the people I know who refuse to separate the riots from the environment from which they came, have all felt we had to say we don't condone the violence of the riots. I'm at the point where I don't think people deserve to hear that. If they are determined to make this into a black and white issue with one right and one wrong, I'm not going to make it easier for them.

I'm sick of talking about this now. This morning on The Nation, Duncan Garner interviewed John Key about unemployed youth in NZ. I'm really looking forward to him using them the way he used the residents of McGehan Close. Combined with half of the people I know using the riots to reinforce all of their racist and social prejudices, it's what I love best; people who've been shat on being shat on all over again. God helps those who help themselves, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment