Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Moving



Having heard their cover of Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion last week (which I got from this post on Miss Moss's excellent blog), clever, clever Vincent brought home three of The Morning Benders' albums yesterday, and introduced me to this song (Miss Moss/Paul Simon/Vincent, winning combination). I love it when he does this (music was one of the first things we discovered we had in common; vigilante justice and baby orangutans aren't often brought up in first meetings), especially when the song lassos my chest and grabs a hold of my heart as this one does. It is achingly beautiful. The drums make me feel like I'm waiting, as if something is about to happen, and then the violins come in and I feel my heart preparing to break for a girl in a white cotton dress, full of expectation, whom I don't know. Then he starts singing, and my hopes rise, but in his voice I can hear endings and I can't relax, and I know her heart is going to be broken. I'm completely, utterly moved.

Then Vincent showed me this video, and I couldn't help feeling happy. These are people, living right now, doing this, in the world I'm in. They mean this. And I feel like if this can be, then things can't be hopeless, they just can't.

What we do makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment