Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ordinary Greatness

Vincent and I have been discussing what we think the words 'mundane' and 'ephemeral' mean, and what we mean when we use them. I've always used mundane to mean boring in a commonplace way, but now that I think commonplace is anything but boring, it's lost the connotations it had, and I use it as a positive, even if it confuses people. I love the mundane; it's beautiful. You already know about to-do and grocery lists but it's more than just those. My favourite events are the ones that happen every day which might be banal for some people but are anything but, for me: choosing breakfast, watching ads, having silly conversations; they're little things that I do every day but give me lots to enjoy or to think about, or just remind me that I have a good life.

Yesterday, hungover as old Harry's, Vincent and I spent the whole day in bed and watched three different but excellent movies (I mean different from each other, not different "'cos we're so underground"). One was a bit more excellent than the other two, and that was American Splendor. If you're not into comics (which we weren't, but are now) you might not know about American Splendor (sic - bloody Amcan's [mis]spelling), a wry comic written by Harvey Pekar about his lonely life as a file clerk, and the frustrations of everyday living. It's incredibly funny, and moving, and beautiful because it simply celebrates life as it is and as it happens.



The next, The War On Democracy, wasn't quite as beautiful. In fact it was extremely ugly, showing what stupid, ignorant people are prepared to do to others when they are greedy and afraid. It made me cry, and it made me very, very angry.



The last movie wasn't beautiful either, but it was extremely funny, mildly confusing, and the clincher for changing me from a Jack Nicholson detestee to a fan. The scene below was my favourite; the woman is a hitchhiker who has little relevance to the story and is completely mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment