Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Sundays


This isn't a new song, but it's new to me and I like it a lot and have been playing it lots of times in a row this weekend. It's a bit cheesy but I love cheese, plus I'm a total sucker for horns, and after playing it several times this morning I was off on a journey through Motown and then Stax (which is not cheesy at all; don't believe me? Watch Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story. Even if it hadn't opened with the hauntingly beautiful Otis Redding 'I've Been Loving You Too Long' and I wasn't crying before the opening credits were finished, I still would have been hyperventilating by the end), and spent a very happy hour reliving Standard Three (when I discovered Kool FM and spent a lot of time pretending to be Smokey Robinson). Soul and soul-inspired pop are among the most evocative and comforting things to listen to, and on a balmy Sunday when you've slept until eleven and are prancing around in your undies, it feels like there isn't anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment