Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Heroes

I tend to feel quite strongly about people and things. That's not to say I'm never indifferent, but nine times out of ten indifference is my way of saying someone/thing isn't even worth hating; I could care less. When it comes to people I don't know personally, I tend to get a bit carried away with what I think they're like (projecting, imagining), as well as what I actually know about them; I'm the classic fan of an actor because I think they're really a character they played (who doesn't think Colin Farrell is really Ray from In Bruges?). Joe Strummer is one hero you already know about, and he is a good example of my enjoyment of the romance of having a hero, especially a dead one, and defending my heroes even if I know deep inside I'm a bit misguided. One hero I have no occasion to defend, however, is this most excellent man here:



This is Friedrich Nietzsche, and if you don't know his work then I strongly suggest you stop wasting time reading the ramblings of a self-indulgent madwoman and get yourself a copy of Beyond Good And Evil, or at least The Portable Nietzsche. I'm not going to tell you everything Nietzsche did, or how difficult and sad his life was; you can find that out for yourself. What I will tell you is that he is my hero because he was brave, and humanistic, and funny, and he changed my life. He said God Is Dead but he was really like my Jesus; Nietzsche was how I realised what I think the world is about, and how we can live well in it. He was frustrated and constantly thwarted, and had I been in his position I doubt I would have cared two figs about how people might find fulfillment and become the best they could be, but luckily for all of us, Nietzsche couldn't help it. He eventually went mad and died from syphilis, and I defy anyone who thinks syphilis is a low way to go. I don't wish to contract it, but if syphilis was good enough for Friedrich Nietzsche, by golly it's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment