Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Want


The shoe bug bit me later than it bites most. I lived most of my first twenty-five years in chucks, (the best shoes in the world), or maybe keds, (later on when you could finally buy them in NZ). I liked other shoes, but chucks go with everything, and seemed an inoffensive way of saying I don't care (even if I did). Chucks are more fun to dance in, easier to run drunkenly in (or walk anytime in; how do women do it in heels? how?! I'm like Bambi in them!), and I'd enjoy watching girls teetering in their heels while I banged around in the same shoes as half the boys in the room.

Then it bit, and I understood. I still can't justify spending lots of money on them, I still don't buy many of them, and I still wear chucks or keds every second day... but now I look at shoes and I see them. Perhaps because I don't often buy them, and then wear them into the ground (chucks and keds with paint-stains, tears, and permanently brown bits) or hardly ever wear them so they still look new (every pair of heels I've ever bought, although inept/drunken walking hasn't done them any favours), shoes seem to me to be things that last, like art, and not just because of their asthetic appeal/non-appeal. Shoes make an outfit look deliberate. Shoes keep your feet clean. And shoes make me want them, not necessarily even to wear, but just because they're so fucking pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment